By Reineke BOK-Bennema
The structure of the human language school has been one of many major foci of the linguistic learn of the final part century. This department of linguistics, largely often called Generative Grammar, is worried with the formula of explanatory formal debts of linguistic phenomena with the ulterior objective of gaining perception into the houses of the 'language organ'. The sequence includes top of the range monographs and picked up volumes that tackle such concerns. the subjects during this sequence variety from phonology to semantics, from syntax to info constitution, from mathematical linguistics to stories of the lexicon.
Read Online or Download Case and Agreement in Inuit PDF
Similar foreign language dictionaries & thesauruses books
A Latin Grammar supplies transparent, concise, and simply understood motives of all of the key issues of Latin grammar. With extra gains comparable to a word list of grammatical phrases, a vocabulary record protecting the entire Latin phrases present in the most textual content, research counsel, and notes on Roman dates, funds, weights and measures, and names, it guarantees that scholars have the entire aid they should supplement their language studying.
This dictionary for English audio system includes the elemental Iraqi dialect. The utilization is essentially that of Muslim audio system from Baghdad, yet a few southern Iraqi utilization can also be integrated.
Небольшой английско-тибетско-китайский словарь. Каждая словарная статья сопровождается примерами на трех языках. Данный словарь очень удобен для начинающих изучать тибетский и / или китайский.
- Vocabulaire en dialogues : niveau intermédiaire
- Colloquial Navaho
- Learn Russian the Fast and Fun Way
- Learning to Read Biblical Hebrew: An Introductory Grammar
- A grammar of Kwaza
- Serbian: An Essential Grammar (Essential Grammars)
Extra resources for Case and Agreement in Inuit
Palan jukumpil pangkul yarangku palka-n the woman-abs the man-erg hit -nfut 'The man hit the woman' Dy,D:59 Payiyara (pangkun jukumpiru) palga-nga -nyu the man-abs (the woman-obl) hit -NGAY-nfut 'The man hit (the woman)' Dy,D:70 As one can see from (40a, b), the morpheme -rriy (—marriy, —yirriy) can function in a way identical to -ngay. It has, however, also another function: the example in (40c) not only has the interpretation 'the man hears (something)' , but also 'the man hears himself', meaning 'the man thinks'.
1. Unaccusativity and its Consequences On the basis of the preceding section the reader may deduce that we assume that ergative patterns always arise as a 'solution' to the Case problem posed by unaccusativity. In languages where unaccusativity is restricted to certain constructions, only these constructions are bound to manifest ergativity. In languages with overall unaccusativity, Unaccusativity and its Consequences 23 on the other hand, ergativity will be a characteristic of the whole language.
4. Syntactic Ergativity and Structural Case Above, we have discussed several constructions in which lack of Case for the direct object position gave rise to an ergative pattern: we have discussed the hypothesis that the partially ergative system of Indo-Iranian arose as a consequence of the fact that perfect participles were not Case-assigners; we have discussed ergative phenomena in accusative languages that followed from the absence of accusative Case; furthermore we have mentioned that some evidence exists that passive structures - in which again there is no Case for direct objects - can become so general in a given language that this language actually becomes ergative.