By William Logan, M?iréad Nic Craith, Ullrich Kockel
A significant other to history Studies is a finished, cutting-edge survey of the interdisciplinary research of cultural heritage.
- Outlines the main issues of analysis, together with cultural renovation, environmental safety, global historical past and tourism, ethics, and human rights
- Accessibly prepared right into a enormous framework-setting essay by means of the editors by means of 3 sections on increasing, utilizing and abusing, and recasting heritage
- Provides a state-of-the-art advisor to rising developments within the box that's that's international in scope, cross-cultural in concentration and significant in approach
- Features contributions from a global array of students, together with a few with broad adventure in historical past perform via UNESCO international historical past Centre, ICOMOS, and nationwide history systems
Read Online or Download A Companion to Heritage Studies PDF
Similar cultural books
This is often the 1st ebook to discover the connection among Martin Heidegger's paintings and smooth anthropology. Heidegger draws a lot scholarly curiosity between social scientists, yet few have explored his rules relating to present anthropological debates. The discipline's modernist foundations, the character of cultural constructionism and of paintings ?
Quantity four of 4.
This number of papers, the 3rd in a chain of volumes at the paintings of the Comparative Austronesian venture, explores indigenous Austronesian rules of starting place, ancestry and alliance and considers the comparative value of those rules in social perform. The papers learn social perform in a various diversity of societies extending from insular Southeast Asia to the islands of the Pacific.
- The Lebanese Diaspora: The Arab Immigrant Experience in Montreal, New York, and Paris
- 50 Fabulous Places to Raise Your Family: Lee & Saralee Rosenberg's (Lee and Saralee Rosenberg's 50 Fabulous Places to Raise Your Family)
- The Romantic Syndrome: Toward a New Method in Cultural Anthropology and History of Ideas
- Englishness: Twentieth Century Popular Culture and the Forming of English Identity
- Double Takes: Culture and Gender in French Films and Their American Remakes (Contemporary French Culture and Society)
Extra resources for A Companion to Heritage Studies
When visitors later remember the stunning special effects rather than the story behind these, the purpose of the display becomes questionable (Kockel 2007b). And when, as in the Bannockburn Heritage Centre near Stirling, Scotland, which opened to coincide with and celebrate the seven‐ hundredth anniversary of the famous battle between the English and Scots armies, the visitors are able to change the outcome of the battle in an animated role play, one is left to wonder about the merits of virtual heritage.
The document has been revised by the committee numerous times to reflect new concepts, knowledge or experiences, the most recent revision dating from July 2013 (see UNESCO 2013). 2 World Heritage Convention (1972), art. 5. References Legislation Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage (World Heritage Convention) (UNESCO, 1972). pdf (accessed March 19, 2015). Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (Intangible Heritage Convention) (UNESCO, 2003).
Investigating Anlong Veng, Pol Pot’s home village in Cambodia, which is becoming a cult site, they argue that the removal of reminders of Pol Pot would have the justifiable effect of “emphasizing above all else the voices of the victims and silencing the perpetrators once and for all” (Long and Reeves 2009: 81). Human rights are then an obvious starting point for the consideration of limitations that should be imposed on cultural heritage, regardless of resource issues. Human rights treaties are formulated as catalogues of “rights” or claims that individuals or persons belonging to groups such as ethnic minorities and indigenous peoples hold against the state within whose territory they live (Ekern et al.